Southern Co. (SO): Price and Financial Metrics
GET POWR RATINGS... FREE!
SO POWR Grades
- SO scores best on the Momentum dimension, with a Momentum rank ahead of 94.88% of US stocks.
- SO's strongest trending metric is Growth; it's been moving up over the last 179 days.
- SO's current lowest rank is in the Value metric (where it is better than 20.22% of US stocks).
SO Stock Summary
- SO has a higher market value than 97.69% of US stocks; more precisely, its current market capitalization is $82,680,242,670.
- With a one year PEG ratio of 1,640.85, SOUTHERN CO is expected to have a higher PEG ratio (a measure of how expensive a stock is relative to its expected earnings growth) than 98.44% of US stocks.
- Of note is the ratio of SOUTHERN CO's sales and general administrative expense to its total operating expenses; only 0.49% of US stocks have a lower such ratio.
- Stocks with similar financial metrics, market capitalization, and price volatility to SOUTHERN CO are DUK, IBN, AEP, BTI, and SRE.
- Visit SO's SEC page to see the company's official filings. To visit the company's web site, go to www.southerncompany.com.
SO Valuation Summary
- SO's price/sales ratio is 3.2; this is 52.38% higher than that of the median Utilities stock.
- Over the past 243 months, SO's EV/EBIT ratio has gone up 11.8.
Below are key valuation metrics over time for SO.
SO Growth Metrics
- Its 3 year price growth rate is now at 43.91%.
- Its 5 year net cashflow from operations growth rate is now at 8.87%.
- The 5 year net income to common stockholders growth rate now stands at 41.07%.
The table below shows SO's growth in key financial areas (numbers in millions of US dollars).
|Date||Revenue||Operating Cash Flow||Net Income to Common Stock|
SO's Quality FactorsThe “Quality” component of the POWR Ratings focuses on 31 different factors of a companies fundamentals and operational strength. Here are some key insights as we drill into the specifics of these quality attributes.
- SO has a Quality Grade of C, ranking ahead of 47.28% of graded US stocks.
- SO's asset turnover comes in at 0.176 -- ranking 73rd of 105 Utilities stocks.
- ATO, ED, and AEP are the stocks whose asset turnover ratios are most correlated with SO.
The table below shows SO's key quality metrics over time.
|Period||Asset Turnover||Gross Margin||ROIC|
SO Price Target
For more insight on analysts targets of SO, see our SO price target page. And for a list of of all stocks sorted by upside potential based on analyst target price, see our Top Price Target page.
|Average Price Target||$68.39||Average Broker Recommendation||1.78 (Moderate Buy)|
SO Stock Price Chart Interactive Chart >
SO Price/Volume Stats
|Current price||$79.68||52-week high||$80.57|
|Prev. close||$79.75||52-week low||$60.99|
|Day high||$80.02||Avg. volume||5,192,101|
|50-day MA||$75.63||Dividend yield||3.41%|
|200-day MA||$71.08||Market Cap||84.70B|
Southern Co. (SO) Company Bio
Southern Company is an American gas and electric utility holding company based in the southern United States. It is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with executive offices also located in Birmingham, Alabama. The company is currently the second largest utility company in the U.S. in terms of customer base. Through its subsidiaries it serves 9 million gas and electric utility customers in 6 states. Southern Company's regulated regional electric utilities serve a 120,000-square-mile (310,000 km2) territory with 27,000 miles (43,000 km) of distribution lines. (Source:Wikipedia)
Most Popular Stories View All
SO Latest News Stream
|Loading, please wait...|
SO Latest Social Stream
View Full SO Social Stream
Latest SO News From Around the Web
Below are the latest news stories about SOUTHERN CO that investors may wish to consider to help them evaluate SO as an investment opportunity.
5 Defensive Picks to Stay Safe in Volatile September
We have narrowed our search to five utility stocks with growth potential for the rest of 2022. These are: NEE, SO, ATO, ETR and LNT.
Atlanta Gas Light named one of Atlanta's Best Places to Work and Healthiest Employers
Atlanta Gas Light has been named one of Atlanta's Best Places to Work and Healthiest Employers by the Atlanta Business Chronicle. The company received the award during the publication's 19th annual awards ceremony yesterday evening.
Southern Company launches new website detailing equity work
Southern Company has launched a new website detailing its work building equity in the company and its communities. The "Boldly Forward" site will provide updates on the company's Moving to Equity work and diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) initiatives.
The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights Entergy, Icahn Enterprises, The Southern, NiSource and National Retail Properties
Entergy, Icahn Enterprises, The Southern, NiSource and National Retail Properties are part of The Zacks top Analyst Blog.
Electric Reliability Council of Texas, Inc. -- Moody's announces completion of a periodic review for a group of North American Utilities issuers
Announcement of Periodic Review: Moody's announces completion of a periodic review for a group of North American Utilities issuersGlobal Credit Research - 31 Aug 2022New York, August 31, 2022 -- Moody's Investors Service ("Moody's") has completed a periodic review of the ratings -and other ratings that are associated with the same analytical units for the rated entity(entities) listed below.The review was conducted through a portfolio review discussion held on 24 August 2022 in which Moody's reassessed the appropriateness of the ratings in the context of the relevant principal methodology(ies), recent developments, and a comparison of the financial and operating profile to similarly rated peers. A possible outcome from periodic reviews is a referral of a rating to a rating committee.Th...
SO Price Returns
|Ex-Dividend Date||Type||Payout Amount||Change|
|Loading, please wait...|
Continue Researching SOWant to see what other sources are saying about Southern Co's financials and stock price? Try the links below:
Southern Co (SO) Stock Price | Nasdaq
Southern Co (SO) Stock Quote, History and News - Yahoo Finance
Southern Co (SO) Stock Price and Basic Information | MarketWatch
Loading social stream, please wait...